458 Meylert St Laporte PA 18626
The Museum complex is located in Laporte, in the square behind the Courthouse on Meylert Street. The MAIN BUILDING contains records and artifacts relevant to the history of Sullivan County, its people and the surrounding areas. For a listing of some of the resources available in the Museum, click here.
The BALDWIN HOUSE and garden are located across Meylert Street from the Museum main building. Built in the 1850’s, this is one of the oldest houses in Laporte. It is now a house museum illustrating life in Sullivan County before 1880. It is open the same hours as the Museum for guided tours. To read more about the house and garden, click here.
The Society owns the site of CELESTIA, a religious community founded in the 1850’s by millenialists. It was abandoned in the 1880’s after the death of its founder Peter Armstrong. Click here for a history of the community and a guide for a walking tour of the site.
The BARN is located behind the Baldwin House across from the Museum. Many items from the past are displayed for remembering and learning purposes. Click here to read more about the collection and displays.
Copyright 2012 Sullivan County PA Historical Society and Museum. All rights reserved.
The Sullivan County PA Historical Society and Museum is a registered 501(c)(3).